Effective Job Search Strategies For a Downturn Economy
With the state of the American economy, job searching is at an all-time high. And, you need every advantage you can get when searching for that elusive perfect job. Here’s five simple tips to help you in your job search.
1. Even though you may not be a recent graduate, many college campus career centers allow the public to use their resources. Many companies post jobs only at college career centers- skip this resource and you may miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime!
2. When you’re seeking a job, make sure you know what your long-term and short-term goals are and make sure that you seek employment with a company who can help you meet those goals or at least give you the opportunity to do so.
3. Make sure you use a service like ResumeImproved to tailor your resume for each job that you apply for. Adding this personal touch could set apart from all of the other generic resumes in the recruiter’s pile.
4. Leverage social media to your advantage. There’s a unique service called TwitJobSearch which functions as a job search engine for Twitter. Polish up your Twitter account and get tweeting about pertinent things within your target career field. Then use Twitter to connect with like-minded individuals. Build your reputation as an expert within your industry! In addition, JobsMiner is another fantastic job search engine tool which mines information from all social networks.
5. This last tip can’t be stressed enough: network. Network. NETWORK. With the stiff competition for jobs, it really is all about who you know nowadays. And, with the ability to be always connected, you don’t even have to “know” a person in real life. Getting to know a connection virtually, without seeming like a stalker, is one of the most efficient ways of getting your name out to your industry.
Regardless of how tough the economy is, the odds are in your favor that you will find a job through a bit of persistence and determination. Stay positive and stay focused on the prize!